London Fire Brigade issues warning after Dalston home set on light by stray firework
The London Fire Brigade has issued a warning to Londoners holding their own firework displays, after a stray firework caused a house fire Dalston on Saturday night.
The firework, which flew into the roof of the house in Shacklewell Lane, is believed to have come from a neighbour’s amateur display.
It took 15 fire fighters using three fire engines around 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control just after 7pm, leaving the loft badly damaged.
Watch manager Richard Barron, from Stoke Newington Fire Station, who was at the scene, said it was fortunate no one was hurt, and that incidents like this are the reason people are encouraged to attend organised displays, rather than holding fireworks parties at home.
“There were lots of fireworks being set off nearby and it’s likely that one of them shot off in the wrong direction, hit the house and set fire to the loft.
You may also want to watch:
“At the end of the day, fireworks are explosives and can be extremely dangerous. Unless you know what you’re doing, we’d recommend you leave fireworks and bonfires to the experts,” he added.
“Our fire crews did a brilliant job of bringing the fire under control quickly and keeping it from spreading.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club