London to lose 13 fire engines in £11.5m budget cuts, Mayor confirms
- Credit: Archant
The scrapping of 13 fire engines in the capital was today given the final go-ahead.
A pump in Shoreditch will now be removed permanently after the Mayor of London’s direction on how to slash £11.5m from the Brigade’s budget was approved in their annual budget.
The decision, opposed by the 70 per cent of those taking part in a public consultation, means engines that had been out of service for the past two and a half years will now be taken away for good.
London fire boss Ron Dobson recommended the engines’ removal over the other option of diminishing the numbers of staff in each crew.
“The 13 fire engines have been out of service for over two and a half years but we have continued to achieve our response time targets of on average six minutes for a first fire engine and eight minutes for a second to attend incidents,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The permanent removal of the 13 fire engines would see an increase of four seconds for a first fire engine to five minutes, 27 seconds, and an increase of 18 seconds for a second fire engine to six minutes and 45 seconds.
The stations that had one of their two fire engines removed in August 2013 were Chelsea, Ealing, Erith, Forest Hill, Holloway, Old Kent Road, Plaistow, Poplar, Romford, Shoreditch, Stratford, Wandsworth, and Willesden.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
Paul Embery, FBU’s regional secretary for London, said he was “really disappointed” by the decision.
“There has been a number of incidents recently where people have died in fires following delayed responses by the London Fire Brigade,” he said, claiming: “These are directly attributable to the huge cuts that have taken place in the last two years.
“The brigade is spread very thinly at the moment. It is therefore completely reckless to plough on with further cuts. Lives are being lost. This madness has got to stop.”
What do you think? Email email@example.com to have your say.