Lower Clapton primary school offers free healthy school meals to all pupils
- Credit: Archant
All pupils at a Lower Clapton primary school will now be given free school lunches as part of a commitment to healthy food.
Mandeville Primary in Oswald Street is leading the way when it comes to ensuring its pupils understand the benefit of healthy eating.
It even has a head chef who oversees the daily preparation of lunches and runs a project that sees each child receive lessons on healthy eating, cooking and gardening. They plant, grow and harvest their own food and then cook it using simple and healthy recipes.
Now it has rolled out the free school lunches to those in the junior school as well as kids in reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
Associate head Matthew Shapland said: “We want every child at Mandeville to succeed and we know that a healthy and nutritious lunch is so important in supporting learning that we want to make sure that it’s available to every child.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to support our families and this will save them around £300 a year for each child.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes