Lower Clapton primary school offers free healthy school meals to all pupils
- Credit: Archant
All pupils at a Lower Clapton primary school will now be given free school lunches as part of a commitment to healthy food.
Mandeville Primary in Oswald Street is leading the way when it comes to ensuring its pupils understand the benefit of healthy eating.
It even has a head chef who oversees the daily preparation of lunches and runs a project that sees each child receive lessons on healthy eating, cooking and gardening. They plant, grow and harvest their own food and then cook it using simple and healthy recipes.
Now it has rolled out the free school lunches to those in the junior school as well as kids in reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
Associate head Matthew Shapland said: “We want every child at Mandeville to succeed and we know that a healthy and nutritious lunch is so important in supporting learning that we want to make sure that it’s available to every child.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to support our families and this will save them around £300 a year for each child.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney