Lower Clapton primary school offers free healthy school meals to all pupils
- Credit: Archant
All pupils at a Lower Clapton primary school will now be given free school lunches as part of a commitment to healthy food.
Mandeville Primary in Oswald Street is leading the way when it comes to ensuring its pupils understand the benefit of healthy eating.
It even has a head chef who oversees the daily preparation of lunches and runs a project that sees each child receive lessons on healthy eating, cooking and gardening. They plant, grow and harvest their own food and then cook it using simple and healthy recipes.
Now it has rolled out the free school lunches to those in the junior school as well as kids in reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
Associate head Matthew Shapland said: “We want every child at Mandeville to succeed and we know that a healthy and nutritious lunch is so important in supporting learning that we want to make sure that it’s available to every child.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to support our families and this will save them around £300 a year for each child.”
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'