Luca Ricca: Young guitarist found lifeless in London Fields block died of drugs overdose
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring rock star died after being found slumped in a London Fields housing block following a drug binge.
Guitarist Luca Ricca, 23, moved to England from Italy last year with dreams of making it in the music business having earned critical acclaim with his band Own Boo.
Today an inquest heard how in the early hours of July 17 he was found lifeless next to a lift shaft in Alden House, Duncan Road, after overdosing on heroin.
Toxicology tests found he had a cocktail of drugs in his system, which also included cocaine, designer drug aPBP and nine times the “usual” dose of ecstasy.
Luca had followed a tenant into the block of flats at about 4.30am, telling him he was visiting a girlfriend. Later that morning the same man found him by the lift before calling an ambulance and giving him CPR. Medics were unable to save him and he died before reaching hospital.
A statement from his doctor in Italy said Luca’s family, who had flown in to attend the inquest at Poplar Coroner’s Court, had always supported him. He had decided to move to Leeds – where he had extended family – because it was a place where youngsters could “dedicate themselves to music and have a flexible working life”, unlike Italy.
The doctor also said Luca, who idolised The Rolling Stones, Lou Reed and David Bowie, considered the creative process important and believed his substance abuse had fuelled his writing and musical composition.
- 1 2 men stabbed in 'row involving group' in Upper Clapton
- 2 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 3 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 4 Nursery downgraded by inspectors over sleep and safety concerns
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 7 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Recording a verdict of drug-related death, coroner William Dolman said: “Luca was a young man who surrounded himself with music.
“He came to England to increase his interests and prospects. With that came the risks with a young man in another country. It’s quite clear he had used drugs by injection.”