Search

Lucky escape for Stoke Newington resident after flat fire

PUBLISHED: 11:11 13 January 2012

Firefighters extinguished the burning clothes in the flat and fitted free smoke alarms afterwards

Firefighters extinguished the burning clothes in the flat and fitted free smoke alarms afterwards

submitted by reader

A resident had to be treated by ambulance crews after clothes left to dry on top of a floor heater smouldered, filling his flat with potentially deadly smoke.

The man managed to get out of the property above a shop in Stoke Newington High Street, along with two other residents, but he was suffering from smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics yesterday (Thursday) just after midday.

Fire crews from Stoke Newington Fire Station attended, and watch manager Richard Barron said: “We found clothing on top of the heater that was smouldering.

“The flat didn’t have a smoke alarm, and if this had happened in the middle of the night when the occupants were asleep it could have been very serious because smoke can kill.

“Also, if they had a smoke alarm, the situation wouldn’t have got as bad as it was.”

Firefighters extinguished the burning clothes and installed smoke alarms in the flat to prevent the incident happening again.

London Fire Brigade offers free fire safety checks and will fit smoke alarms for free. For more information, or to book an appointment, call 08000 28 44 28.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists