Lucky escape for Stoke Newington resident after flat fire
A resident had to be treated by ambulance crews after clothes left to dry on top of a floor heater smouldered, filling his flat with potentially deadly smoke.
The man managed to get out of the property above a shop in Stoke Newington High Street, along with two other residents, but he was suffering from smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics yesterday (Thursday) just after midday.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington Fire Station attended, and watch manager Richard Barron said: “We found clothing on top of the heater that was smouldering.
“The flat didn’t have a smoke alarm, and if this had happened in the middle of the night when the occupants were asleep it could have been very serious because smoke can kill.
“Also, if they had a smoke alarm, the situation wouldn’t have got as bad as it was.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters extinguished the burning clothes and installed smoke alarms in the flat to prevent the incident happening again.
London Fire Brigade offers free fire safety checks and will fit smoke alarms for free. For more information, or to book an appointment, call 08000 28 44 28.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack