Made in Hackney: 58 Gin is a ‘labour of love’
- Credit: 58 Gin
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit 58 Gin’s HQ at Hackney Downs Studios.
Mark Marmont and Carmen Dunphy do everything themselves to make 58 Gin in-house at Hackney Downs Studios, from distilling to bottling the final artisan product.
Aussie Mark founded the company on Australia Day in January 2014, after spending a year tinkering with the recipe because he didn’t like any other gins on the market.
“He couldn’t find a gin that was super smooth that would work in cocktails but also with tonic,” said Carmen. They produce 90 half litre bottles daily in the traditional way, in big copper “stills”.
“The great thing about that is it’s true to heritage and it makes premium gin.
“The more the alcohol while it’s cooking that touches the copper, the more sulphates are removed, and that’s what causes the hangover.
“Ours is so smooth you can drink it neat. Often we sit there measuring out the ingredients and joke there must some easier way to do it, but it’s a labour of love.”
- 1 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 2 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 3 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 4 Hackney groups respond to permanent Homerton LTN
- 5 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 6 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 7 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 8 Men jailed after violent Mare Street robberies
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Convicted: Met special constable who assaulted man in custody
For more information on 58 Gin, or to buy it online, visit 58gin.com.