Made in Hackney: 58 Gin is a ‘labour of love’
- Credit: 58 Gin
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit 58 Gin’s HQ at Hackney Downs Studios.
Mark Marmont and Carmen Dunphy do everything themselves to make 58 Gin in-house at Hackney Downs Studios, from distilling to bottling the final artisan product.
Aussie Mark founded the company on Australia Day in January 2014, after spending a year tinkering with the recipe because he didn’t like any other gins on the market.
“He couldn’t find a gin that was super smooth that would work in cocktails but also with tonic,” said Carmen. They produce 90 half litre bottles daily in the traditional way, in big copper “stills”.
“The great thing about that is it’s true to heritage and it makes premium gin.
You may also want to watch:
“The more the alcohol while it’s cooking that touches the copper, the more sulphates are removed, and that’s what causes the hangover.
“Ours is so smooth you can drink it neat. Often we sit there measuring out the ingredients and joke there must some easier way to do it, but it’s a labour of love.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 6 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
For more information on 58 Gin, or to buy it online, visit 58gin.com.