Made in Hackney: 58 Gin is a ‘labour of love’
- Credit: 58 Gin
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit 58 Gin’s HQ at Hackney Downs Studios.
Mark Marmont and Carmen Dunphy do everything themselves to make 58 Gin in-house at Hackney Downs Studios, from distilling to bottling the final artisan product.
Aussie Mark founded the company on Australia Day in January 2014, after spending a year tinkering with the recipe because he didn’t like any other gins on the market.
“He couldn’t find a gin that was super smooth that would work in cocktails but also with tonic,” said Carmen. They produce 90 half litre bottles daily in the traditional way, in big copper “stills”.
“The great thing about that is it’s true to heritage and it makes premium gin.
You may also want to watch:
“The more the alcohol while it’s cooking that touches the copper, the more sulphates are removed, and that’s what causes the hangover.
“Ours is so smooth you can drink it neat. Often we sit there measuring out the ingredients and joke there must some easier way to do it, but it’s a labour of love.”
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
For more information on 58 Gin, or to buy it online, visit 58gin.com.