Made in Hackney: Bellerby’s bespoke globes
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
Peter Bellerby decided to make his own globes after two fruitless years searching for the perfect specimen for his father’s 80th birthday present.
He initially decided to just make two – one for his dad and one for him.
But the bowling alley boss quit his job to set up his artisan business, Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
The globes manufactured in Bouverie Mews, Stoke Newington, are now used in Hollywood movies, BBC and ITV productions and each masterpiece can fetch up to £59,000.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the stand, to the artwork, the painting and map-making, each piece is expertly crafted using traditional and modern globemaking techniques.
“Each piece is an individual model of style and grandeur and the larger globes are works of art in their own right.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home