Made in Hackney: Bellerby’s bespoke globes
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
Peter Bellerby decided to make his own globes after two fruitless years searching for the perfect specimen for his father’s 80th birthday present.
He initially decided to just make two – one for his dad and one for him.
But the bowling alley boss quit his job to set up his artisan business, Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
The globes manufactured in Bouverie Mews, Stoke Newington, are now used in Hollywood movies, BBC and ITV productions and each masterpiece can fetch up to £59,000.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the stand, to the artwork, the painting and map-making, each piece is expertly crafted using traditional and modern globemaking techniques.
“Each piece is an individual model of style and grandeur and the larger globes are works of art in their own right.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems