Made in Hackney: Bellerby’s bespoke globes
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
Peter Bellerby decided to make his own globes after two fruitless years searching for the perfect specimen for his father’s 80th birthday present.
He initially decided to just make two – one for his dad and one for him.
But the bowling alley boss quit his job to set up his artisan business, Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
The globes manufactured in Bouverie Mews, Stoke Newington, are now used in Hollywood movies, BBC and ITV productions and each masterpiece can fetch up to £59,000.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the stand, to the artwork, the painting and map-making, each piece is expertly crafted using traditional and modern globemaking techniques.
“Each piece is an individual model of style and grandeur and the larger globes are works of art in their own right.”
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared