Made in Hackney: Bellerby’s bespoke globes
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
Peter Bellerby decided to make his own globes after two fruitless years searching for the perfect specimen for his father’s 80th birthday present.
He initially decided to just make two – one for his dad and one for him.
But the bowling alley boss quit his job to set up his artisan business, Bellerby and Co Globemakers.
The globes manufactured in Bouverie Mews, Stoke Newington, are now used in Hollywood movies, BBC and ITV productions and each masterpiece can fetch up to £59,000.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the stand, to the artwork, the painting and map-making, each piece is expertly crafted using traditional and modern globemaking techniques.
“Each piece is an individual model of style and grandeur and the larger globes are works of art in their own right.”
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 3 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's