Made in Hackney: Botanical Boys’ terrarium gardens spread the joy of horticulture - in a jar
- Credit: Mike Massaro
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear the Botanical Boys’ terrarium gardens.
Darren Henderson and his partner Ben started creating terrarium gardens after an inspirational trip to California where they discovered the world of succulents.
They’d already had success in the botanical arena after the Japanese and Italian water garden they renovated in their Dalston flat attracted the attention of the National Garden Scheme.
They decided to display their terrariums at their twice yearly garden open days and people would buy them.
“We were inspired to make more of them as we sold all of them,” said Darren.
“This got us thinking, that a person does not necessarily need a garden to enjoy plants and that a terrarium allows you to bring the outdoors-in to display in your home with minimal care.”
As well as sharing the joy of terrariums with others in classes, they also sell them and take on private commissions. Prices range from £35 to £80.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 3 London among areas where drought is declared
- 4 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 5 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 6 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 7 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 8 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 9 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 10 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
“Gardening on any level is so much more just digging holes and planting a shrub, it’s about that connection to the natural world and the positive affects it has on a person’s well-being is crucial more than ever in the fast paced world we live in today,” said Darren.