Made in Hackney: Circus-themed craft shop does the trick
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to Fiona Duffelen, who runs a circus-themed shop in Dalston.
Hackney’s best circus-themed curiosity shop Fee Fee La Fou HQ not only makes most of its own colourful stock, it also showcases the work of 150 artists from the borough.
Next month the shop in Bradbury Street, Dalston – unmissable thanks to its colourful exterior – celebrates its fifth anniversary.
And this year founder Fiona Duffelen picked up the best creative business award at the Hackney Mayor’s Business Awards.
“I’m an artist, painter and printmaker,” she said. “I had a studio in Hackney Wick but didn’t really like spending long hours on my own and wanted to move. We make 70 per cent of our stock including prints, furniture and jewellery. There’s a lot of artists in Hackney so we showcase their stuff too.”
You may also want to watch:
Visit feefeelafouenterprises.com for more
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction