Made in Hackney: Fashion brand Riyka is run by husband and wife team in Ridley Road Studios
- Credit: Riyka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Dalston fashion brand Riyka
With Vedran Kulic’s masters in business and Rebecca Johnson’s degree in fashion the married couple decided it was a no-brainer to launch a fashion brand together.
Riyka launched seven years ago after they moved to the UK from Israel, and has been run out of Ridley Road Studios ever since.
It is named after Rebecca’s great grandmother’s nickname.
Each season she designs a collection that includes slouchy jumpers, over-sized dresses, “boyfriend” shirts and tees that carry the brand’s signature geometric panelling and vibrant pops of colour.
You may also want to watch:
A dress retails from about £73 and Riyka’s clothes are sold through online stockists, two shops in Belgium and Peckham and their own web store.
The samples and made-to-order clothes are made in the studio in Ridley Road, while the rest are made in Bulgaria, with only about 150 items made each season.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
“Small and exclusive is the idea,” said Rebecca.
“We make what we sell. It’s a small venture, but we are not trying to be greedy.”