Made in Hackney: Fashion brand Riyka is run by husband and wife team in Ridley Road Studios
- Credit: Riyka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Dalston fashion brand Riyka
With Vedran Kulic’s masters in business and Rebecca Johnson’s degree in fashion the married couple decided it was a no-brainer to launch a fashion brand together.
Riyka launched seven years ago after they moved to the UK from Israel, and has been run out of Ridley Road Studios ever since.
It is named after Rebecca’s great grandmother’s nickname.
Each season she designs a collection that includes slouchy jumpers, over-sized dresses, “boyfriend” shirts and tees that carry the brand’s signature geometric panelling and vibrant pops of colour.
You may also want to watch:
A dress retails from about £73 and Riyka’s clothes are sold through online stockists, two shops in Belgium and Peckham and their own web store.
The samples and made-to-order clothes are made in the studio in Ridley Road, while the rest are made in Bulgaria, with only about 150 items made each season.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 10 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
“Small and exclusive is the idea,” said Rebecca.
“We make what we sell. It’s a small venture, but we are not trying to be greedy.”