Made in Hackney: Fashion brand Riyka is run by husband and wife team in Ridley Road Studios
- Credit: Riyka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Dalston fashion brand Riyka
With Vedran Kulic’s masters in business and Rebecca Johnson’s degree in fashion the married couple decided it was a no-brainer to launch a fashion brand together.
Riyka launched seven years ago after they moved to the UK from Israel, and has been run out of Ridley Road Studios ever since.
It is named after Rebecca’s great grandmother’s nickname.
Each season she designs a collection that includes slouchy jumpers, over-sized dresses, “boyfriend” shirts and tees that carry the brand’s signature geometric panelling and vibrant pops of colour.
You may also want to watch:
A dress retails from about £73 and Riyka’s clothes are sold through online stockists, two shops in Belgium and Peckham and their own web store.
The samples and made-to-order clothes are made in the studio in Ridley Road, while the rest are made in Bulgaria, with only about 150 items made each season.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
“Small and exclusive is the idea,” said Rebecca.
“We make what we sell. It’s a small venture, but we are not trying to be greedy.”