Made in Hackney: Fashion brand Riyka is run by husband and wife team in Ridley Road Studios
- Credit: Riyka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Dalston fashion brand Riyka
With Vedran Kulic’s masters in business and Rebecca Johnson’s degree in fashion the married couple decided it was a no-brainer to launch a fashion brand together.
Riyka launched seven years ago after they moved to the UK from Israel, and has been run out of Ridley Road Studios ever since.
It is named after Rebecca’s great grandmother’s nickname.
Each season she designs a collection that includes slouchy jumpers, over-sized dresses, “boyfriend” shirts and tees that carry the brand’s signature geometric panelling and vibrant pops of colour.
You may also want to watch:
A dress retails from about £73 and Riyka’s clothes are sold through online stockists, two shops in Belgium and Peckham and their own web store.
The samples and made-to-order clothes are made in the studio in Ridley Road, while the rest are made in Bulgaria, with only about 150 items made each season.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
“Small and exclusive is the idea,” said Rebecca.
“We make what we sell. It’s a small venture, but we are not trying to be greedy.”