Made in Hackney: Fashion brand Riyka is run by husband and wife team in Ridley Road Studios
- Credit: Riyka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Dalston fashion brand Riyka
With Vedran Kulic’s masters in business and Rebecca Johnson’s degree in fashion the married couple decided it was a no-brainer to launch a fashion brand together.
Riyka launched seven years ago after they moved to the UK from Israel, and has been run out of Ridley Road Studios ever since.
It is named after Rebecca’s great grandmother’s nickname.
Each season she designs a collection that includes slouchy jumpers, over-sized dresses, “boyfriend” shirts and tees that carry the brand’s signature geometric panelling and vibrant pops of colour.
A dress retails from about £73 and Riyka’s clothes are sold through online stockists, two shops in Belgium and Peckham and their own web store.
The samples and made-to-order clothes are made in the studio in Ridley Road, while the rest are made in Bulgaria, with only about 150 items made each season.
- 1 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 2 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 7 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 8 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 9 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
“Small and exclusive is the idea,” said Rebecca.
“We make what we sell. It’s a small venture, but we are not trying to be greedy.”