Made in Hackney: Designer ditches job to make vegan cookies and sourdough in her kitchen
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a woman who’s really taken on the idea of home cooking.
They say home cooking is the best, and a designer who ditched her job to start making sourdough and vegan cookies in her own oven definitely agrees.
Last year, Tika Stefano, of Dunn Street, Dalston, started selling the loaves to fellow parents at Queensbridge Primary School, and other runners and cyclists at her sports clubs, and it soon took off.
“I did a course ages ago and thought it was not viable,” she said. “But it got more popular. I started doing it for the Food Assembly in Hackney Downs but when I went to the King’s Cross one they asked if I did anything else, and I said biscuits.
“Now I sell more of the vegan cookies than the bread.”
You may also want to watch:
Tika cycles around supplying her treats to trendy cafes and shops around Dalston, delivering about 60 cookies and a dozen loaves every weekend.
She’s also got stockists in Crystal Palace and in Brixton. Not bad for less than a year’s work.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 9 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Place your order at sourdoughmess.com.