Made in Hackney: Designer ditches job to make vegan cookies and sourdough in her kitchen
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a woman who’s really taken on the idea of home cooking.
They say home cooking is the best, and a designer who ditched her job to start making sourdough and vegan cookies in her own oven definitely agrees.
Last year, Tika Stefano, of Dunn Street, Dalston, started selling the loaves to fellow parents at Queensbridge Primary School, and other runners and cyclists at her sports clubs, and it soon took off.
“I did a course ages ago and thought it was not viable,” she said. “But it got more popular. I started doing it for the Food Assembly in Hackney Downs but when I went to the King’s Cross one they asked if I did anything else, and I said biscuits.
“Now I sell more of the vegan cookies than the bread.”
You may also want to watch:
Tika cycles around supplying her treats to trendy cafes and shops around Dalston, delivering about 60 cookies and a dozen loaves every weekend.
She’s also got stockists in Crystal Palace and in Brixton. Not bad for less than a year’s work.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
Place your order at sourdoughmess.com.