Made in Hackney: e9maker Lisa Devaney paints in her Homerton kitchen
- Credit: Fi R Backhouse
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Lisa Devaney’s tiny acrylic paintings
Having loved painting all her life, Lisa Devaney decided it was time to turn her passion into a career two years ago.
She creates all of her acrylics depicting botanicals, landscapes and urban views at her home in Homerton.
Lisa sells the two-by-three-inch paintings for £10 in Chatsworth Road store Patina, and collaborates with two other craftswomen under the guise e9makers, holding regular market stalls together.
“It’s hard to define when you become a professional artist,” Lisa, whose main job is in PR, told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“Frequently I drop it all, stop for a while and think: ‘What is the point of all this?’ I took a basic course in 2016 and I got a bit more understanding and was more motivated.
“At one point I had 50 of my paintings in my flat. I started hanging them up on my walls and it became kind of ridiculous, so I decided to start selling them.”
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 6 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 7 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 8 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 9 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 10 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
The e9makers will be holding their next stall at the Big London Flea at Epic in Stoke Newington Road on June 10.