Made in Hackney: e9maker Lisa Devaney paints in her Homerton kitchen
- Credit: Fi R Backhouse
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Lisa Devaney’s tiny acrylic paintings
Having loved painting all her life, Lisa Devaney decided it was time to turn her passion into a career two years ago.
She creates all of her acrylics depicting botanicals, landscapes and urban views at her home in Homerton.
Lisa sells the two-by-three-inch paintings for £10 in Chatsworth Road store Patina, and collaborates with two other craftswomen under the guise e9makers, holding regular market stalls together.
“It’s hard to define when you become a professional artist,” Lisa, whose main job is in PR, told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“Frequently I drop it all, stop for a while and think: ‘What is the point of all this?’ I took a basic course in 2016 and I got a bit more understanding and was more motivated.
“At one point I had 50 of my paintings in my flat. I started hanging them up on my walls and it became kind of ridiculous, so I decided to start selling them.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
The e9makers will be holding their next stall at the Big London Flea at Epic in Stoke Newington Road on June 10.