Made in Hackney: Ella Doran’s popular designs include bikes in the borough
- Credit: ella doran
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Ella Doran who creates her iconic photography-inspired homeware designs at her studio in Lawford Road, De Beauvoir.
Having studied printed textiles at college, she knew she wanted to do “her own thing” when she graduated in 1997. She spent six months working at a print works in Africa – “a visual attack on her senses” – and came back with lots of imagery ready to set up her own business with a Princes Trust loan.
She told the Gazette: “It was pre-digital where I would use my photos as inspiration, but at that point we were able to start experimenting with the process of applying new digital photographic images on every day products. I rode that wave and grew the brand and name quickly because of its notoriety and the seminal moment.”
Ella’s patterns decorate the likes of plates, blinds and bags which are then sold by the likes of Conran and Heels. They include leaves, flowers, camouflage and even “bikes of Hackney”.
“That is one of our popular ones,” said Ella. “It incorporates lots of bicycles people could probably spot.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always taken my inspiration from my visual interpretation of the every day.
“It might look like you “just put the pattern on that and it looks nice”, but you don’t know the half of what goes into making something good, that’s designed well visually and in material. It’s a time consuming role.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home