Made in Hackney: Fairtrade coffee is roasted in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we noticed one of our favourite coffees has a roastery on patch.
Imagine our surprise at the Gazette when we discovered the one thing that gets us through every day was actually made in Hackney.
Whether there’s breaking news coming from all angles or it’s a slow news day, the influence of Cafedirect coffee (other brands are available) on our productivity should not be underestimated.
And it’s roasted in Bayford Street Business Centre in London Fields, just a mile or two from the company’s headquarters in Scrutton Street, Shoreditch.
It is the UK’s first and biggest 100 per cent fairtrade hot drink brand and was born out of the “coffee crisis” of 1989 when an international fixed price agreement collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
We did try to contact them for comment, but they were too busy to get back to us. Perhaps they need a cup themselves.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages