Made in Hackney: Fashion ‘twins’ Nadia and Zehra design ‘out there’ collections together
- Credit: Nadia and Zehra
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week catch up with Nadia who designs “out there” clothes with her sister.
‘Twins’ Nadia and Zehra Mustafa always dreamt of working together and now they design an eponymous colourful street fashion brand, which has a large fan-base in Japan.
The 25-year-olds grew up in London and studied at Polimoda Fashion School in Florence before launching their “out there” digital prints which they design in Lighthouse studios, Shacklewell Lane.
Collections contain the likes of all-in-one jump suits with prints of alcohol bottles and faces of the Adams’ family.
“It’s perfect for us because we are best friends and sisters and now we work together,” Nadia told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“We never really argue. Obviously there is a little row now and again but not much.
“We are both involved in the whole design process, so if we paint a picture I’ll start painting, she’ll go on top and I’ll go on top again.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
She continued: “It’s popular in Japan because of the colour and prints - they love that stuff.”
The half-Italian, half-Turkish girls are actually triplets and have a brother called Fabio who is an accountant - but Nadia describes themselves as the “twins of the triplets”.
Does Fabio ever feel left out? “No we get on. He has other interests so it’s all good,” said Nadia.