Made in Hackney: Fashion ‘twins’ Nadia and Zehra design ‘out there’ collections together
- Credit: Nadia and Zehra
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week catch up with Nadia who designs “out there” clothes with her sister.
‘Twins’ Nadia and Zehra Mustafa always dreamt of working together and now they design an eponymous colourful street fashion brand, which has a large fan-base in Japan.
The 25-year-olds grew up in London and studied at Polimoda Fashion School in Florence before launching their “out there” digital prints which they design in Lighthouse studios, Shacklewell Lane.
Collections contain the likes of all-in-one jump suits with prints of alcohol bottles and faces of the Adams’ family.
“It’s perfect for us because we are best friends and sisters and now we work together,” Nadia told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“We never really argue. Obviously there is a little row now and again but not much.
“We are both involved in the whole design process, so if we paint a picture I’ll start painting, she’ll go on top and I’ll go on top again.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
She continued: “It’s popular in Japan because of the colour and prints - they love that stuff.”
The half-Italian, half-Turkish girls are actually triplets and have a brother called Fabio who is an accountant - but Nadia describes themselves as the “twins of the triplets”.
Does Fabio ever feel left out? “No we get on. He has other interests so it’s all good,” said Nadia.