Made in Hackney: Five Points brews special beer for Field Day
- Credit: five points brewery
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Ed Mason from The Five Points Brewing Company, which has collaborated with Field Day to produce a special beer for the Victoria Park festival in June.
The brewers in Institute Place, Hackney Downs, have run the festival’s craft beer bar for three years and wanted to take their involvement “to another level” this year.
“We sat down and brainstormed what we wanted that beer to taste like,” Five Points’ owner Ed Mason told the Gazette.
“We didn’t want to rebadge one of our existing beers, but wanted a brand new recipe. We settled on the idea of a citrus pale ale.”
They are sourcing Sicilian lemon and grapefruit zest from another small Hackney company, Square Root - which would otherwise discard the zest which is a side product in making its soft drinks.
As Field Day has used cat imagery this year, the beer has the same theme, and staff have been vying over whose pets would be be pictured on the cans. Field Day Citrus Pale launches at Mason and Co at Canalside, Hackney Wick, tonight, and will be on sale all summer.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 2 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 3 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 4 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 5 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 6 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 7 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend
- 8 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney
- 9 Missing girl, 11, could be in Hackney
- 10 Port and pie pop-up coming to Shoreditch