Made in Hackney: Five Points brews special beer for Field Day
- Credit: five points brewery
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Ed Mason from The Five Points Brewing Company, which has collaborated with Field Day to produce a special beer for the Victoria Park festival in June.
The brewers in Institute Place, Hackney Downs, have run the festival’s craft beer bar for three years and wanted to take their involvement “to another level” this year.
“We sat down and brainstormed what we wanted that beer to taste like,” Five Points’ owner Ed Mason told the Gazette.
“We didn’t want to rebadge one of our existing beers, but wanted a brand new recipe. We settled on the idea of a citrus pale ale.”
They are sourcing Sicilian lemon and grapefruit zest from another small Hackney company, Square Root - which would otherwise discard the zest which is a side product in making its soft drinks.
You may also want to watch:
As Field Day has used cat imagery this year, the beer has the same theme, and staff have been vying over whose pets would be be pictured on the cans. Field Day Citrus Pale launches at Mason and Co at Canalside, Hackney Wick, tonight, and will be on sale all summer.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses