Made in Hackney: Glow’s high-vis reflective hats and snoods
- Credit: glow
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we hear about Glow’s high-vis hats and snoods.
While the founder of Glow hot desks in Limehouse, some of the women who knit and crochet her high-vis reflective hats and scarves live in Hackney.
Fashion designer Comet Chukura set up her social enterprise three years ago, and she farms the work out to women in the community – who she pays the London living wage.
Knitted hats retail at £52 and crocheted snoods sell for £52 or £62. They are made from wool containing a reflective glass fibre, which lights up if headlights shine on them.
“I’m a cyclist and I wanted to make a cycling-friendly high-vis range that wasn’t ugly, that’s easy to wear and fashionable,” said Comet. “I wanted to make it in London with women in the community who could easily make stuff – I didn’t want to send it to China.”
You may also want to watch:
She removes her helmet padding to wear it over her beanie. “I would advise people just to wear the snood or scarf if they aren’t comfortable taking off the padding in their helmet,” she said. “If you are just outside in the dark it’s a good thing to have on you.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man