Made in Hackney: Grizzly Guitars – where musicians customise their gear
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Leon Ferbrache, who customises intrsuments for the stars.
The list of bands and musicians Leon Ferbrache has customised guitars for reads like a solid festival line-up.
At Grizzly Guitars in Hackney Road, and previously in Netil House, Mare Street, he has worked on instruments for Laura Marling, Franz Ferdinand, James Blake and Spiritualized.
“I’ve been doing it in Hackney for eight years and I worked in west London before that for five years. I do all kinds of general serving of instruments, customising them to people’s specifications.”
Leon also works on pedals and stage equipment: “A few years ago I was asked by the festival All Tomorrow’s Parties to create a red pedal like the one on the poster and they sold them as merchandise.”
You may also want to watch:
But he’s just as happy taking orders from beginners as major artists.
The workshop is open Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 6pm and Saturday 10am to 5pm. Visit grizzlyguitars.co.uk for contact details.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 8 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'