Made in Hackney: Grizzly Guitars – where musicians customise their gear
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Leon Ferbrache, who customises intrsuments for the stars.
The list of bands and musicians Leon Ferbrache has customised guitars for reads like a solid festival line-up.
At Grizzly Guitars in Hackney Road, and previously in Netil House, Mare Street, he has worked on instruments for Laura Marling, Franz Ferdinand, James Blake and Spiritualized.
“I’ve been doing it in Hackney for eight years and I worked in west London before that for five years. I do all kinds of general serving of instruments, customising them to people’s specifications.”
Leon also works on pedals and stage equipment: “A few years ago I was asked by the festival All Tomorrow’s Parties to create a red pedal like the one on the poster and they sold them as merchandise.”
You may also want to watch:
But he’s just as happy taking orders from beginners as major artists.
The workshop is open Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 6pm and Saturday 10am to 5pm. Visit grizzlyguitars.co.uk for contact details.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV