Made in Hackney: Grizzly Guitars – where musicians customise their gear
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Leon Ferbrache, who customises intrsuments for the stars.
The list of bands and musicians Leon Ferbrache has customised guitars for reads like a solid festival line-up.
At Grizzly Guitars in Hackney Road, and previously in Netil House, Mare Street, he has worked on instruments for Laura Marling, Franz Ferdinand, James Blake and Spiritualized.
“I’ve been doing it in Hackney for eight years and I worked in west London before that for five years. I do all kinds of general serving of instruments, customising them to people’s specifications.”
Leon also works on pedals and stage equipment: “A few years ago I was asked by the festival All Tomorrow’s Parties to create a red pedal like the one on the poster and they sold them as merchandise.”
You may also want to watch:
But he’s just as happy taking orders from beginners as major artists.
The workshop is open Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 6pm and Saturday 10am to 5pm. Visit grizzlyguitars.co.uk for contact details.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens