Made in Hackney: History buffs choose East End to make weekend bag
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to two guys who have settled in the East End to make their bags.
Two history buffs fascinated by the leather industry’s East End roots decided to manufacture a weekend bag made completely in Hackney.
And Quiet Rebellion, the brainchild of Alex Miles and Inigo Weston, is now taking pre-orders for the products on its website.
Among the Hackney traders involved in the process were bag-makers J&R Designs in Homerton and leather shop J T Batchelor in Dalston.
“We thought it would be nice to find some manufcaturers locally,” said Alex. “We’d been going to pop-up markets, got speaking to customers and found out about the history of the industry around the East End, and wanted to find out more.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re about to release the first bags now.”
Check out the bags at quietrebellion.com/collections/weekend-bags
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed