Made in Hackney: History buffs choose East End to make weekend bag
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to two guys who have settled in the East End to make their bags.
Two history buffs fascinated by the leather industry’s East End roots decided to manufacture a weekend bag made completely in Hackney.
And Quiet Rebellion, the brainchild of Alex Miles and Inigo Weston, is now taking pre-orders for the products on its website.
Among the Hackney traders involved in the process were bag-makers J&R Designs in Homerton and leather shop J T Batchelor in Dalston.
“We thought it would be nice to find some manufcaturers locally,” said Alex. “We’d been going to pop-up markets, got speaking to customers and found out about the history of the industry around the East End, and wanted to find out more.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re about to release the first bags now.”
Check out the bags at quietrebellion.com/collections/weekend-bags
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 6 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs