Made in Hackney: Hyacinth Myers surrounds herself with hundreds of crystals to make ‘healing earrings’
- Credit: Hyacinth Myers'
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Hyacinth Myers to find out about her semi-precious jewellery.
Hyacinth Myers makes her semi-precious earrings in her kitchen in Shacklewell Lane, Dalston.
She started out making jewellery 15 years ago when she couldn’t find anything on sale she wanted to wear.
Using shells, wood, and ethically sourced bone she taught herself to make necklaces, bracelets and earrings.
She had no plans to sell anything but got a good reaction from her friends who liked them. Now she sells her wares under the guise of Soul Conscious Creations in the Hackney Pirates and online.
You may also want to watch:
These days she’s working as a holistic therapist and will custom make earrings for her clients from semi-precious stones and healing crystals.
“If someone has circulation problems I use a stone like agate, jasper or red carnelian,” she said. “I literally surround myself with hundreds of crystals, which sounds a bit weird. I pick them up and make them quite organically.”
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 4 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack