Made in Hackney: ‘I make my leather products on the train’
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to leather maker Chanelle Antoinette.
A self-taught craft enthusiast has started selling her own recycled leather goods.
Chanelle Antoinette of Haggerston was given a load of leather as payment for a workshop last year and quickly went about learning how to make stuff with it.
And like this week’s start-up – which by contrast sells vegan, non-leather products – Chanelle, 35, now has an outlet for her wallets, purses and bags, with a stall at Portobello Market.
It all started as an idea to help her service users at a homeless charity.
You may also want to watch:
“I suggested doing workshops with them to get them doing something that didn’t scream ‘mental health issues’,” she said.
“I’ll do my work when I’m on the go, so on the train or in a workspace. The aim now is to get more people to know about what I do.”
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 5 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 7 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
Check out studionelle.com.