Made in Hackney: Kassandra Lauren Gordon designs ‘ethical’ jewellery at Hackney Downs Studios
- Credit: Robert Taylor
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit jewellery maker, Kassandra Lauren Gordon, at her HQ in Amhurst Terrace.
It isn’t just early-morning comedy that motivates Kassandra Lauren Gordon, who has launched a 7am monthly gig in Shoreditch.
Her love for jewellery developed after her mother gave her a gold locket when she was nine.
The 30-year old credits the necklace with changing her life, and now she makes jewellery herself from her workshop in Hackney Downs Studios, in Amhurst Terrace.
“My mum was a single parent, and did not have much money,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I knew that she saved, sacrificed and grafted for me for a nearly a year to buy this precious gift.
“I knew it was gold and delicate, so I had to take care of it.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 10 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
Kassandra went on to learn the traditional techniques of making handmade jewellery in Hatton Garden, the UK’s biggest jewellery district.
Now, alongside organising her comedy shows, Kassandra designs “ethical” jewellery making sure to source gems and metals from fairly traded sources, and can cater for “minimalist styles” to “loud pieces”.