Made in Hackney: Kassandra Lauren Gordon designs ‘ethical’ jewellery at Hackney Downs Studios
- Credit: Robert Taylor
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit jewellery maker, Kassandra Lauren Gordon, at her HQ in Amhurst Terrace.
It isn’t just early-morning comedy that motivates Kassandra Lauren Gordon, who has launched a 7am monthly gig in Shoreditch.
Her love for jewellery developed after her mother gave her a gold locket when she was nine.
The 30-year old credits the necklace with changing her life, and now she makes jewellery herself from her workshop in Hackney Downs Studios, in Amhurst Terrace.
“My mum was a single parent, and did not have much money,” she said.
“I knew that she saved, sacrificed and grafted for me for a nearly a year to buy this precious gift.
“I knew it was gold and delicate, so I had to take care of it.”
- 1 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 4 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 5 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 6 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 9 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 10 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
Kassandra went on to learn the traditional techniques of making handmade jewellery in Hatton Garden, the UK’s biggest jewellery district.
Now, alongside organising her comedy shows, Kassandra designs “ethical” jewellery making sure to source gems and metals from fairly traded sources, and can cater for “minimalist styles” to “loud pieces”.