Made in Hackney: Kassandra Lauren Gordon designs ‘ethical’ jewellery at Hackney Downs Studios
- Credit: Robert Taylor
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit jewellery maker, Kassandra Lauren Gordon, at her HQ in Amhurst Terrace.
It isn’t just early-morning comedy that motivates Kassandra Lauren Gordon, who has launched a 7am monthly gig in Shoreditch.
Her love for jewellery developed after her mother gave her a gold locket when she was nine.
The 30-year old credits the necklace with changing her life, and now she makes jewellery herself from her workshop in Hackney Downs Studios, in Amhurst Terrace.
“My mum was a single parent, and did not have much money,” she said.
“I knew that she saved, sacrificed and grafted for me for a nearly a year to buy this precious gift.
“I knew it was gold and delicate, so I had to take care of it.”
- 1 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 2 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 3 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 5 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 6 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 7 The three strikes and protests hitting Hackney this week
- 8 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 9 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 10 Man dies after being found on fire in Stoke Newington
Kassandra went on to learn the traditional techniques of making handmade jewellery in Hatton Garden, the UK’s biggest jewellery district.
Now, alongside organising her comedy shows, Kassandra designs “ethical” jewellery making sure to source gems and metals from fairly traded sources, and can cater for “minimalist styles” to “loud pieces”.