Made in Hackney: Kassandra Lauren Gordon designs ‘ethical’ jewellery at Hackney Downs Studios
- Credit: Robert Taylor
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit jewellery maker, Kassandra Lauren Gordon, at her HQ in Amhurst Terrace.
It isn’t just early-morning comedy that motivates Kassandra Lauren Gordon, who has launched a 7am monthly gig in Shoreditch.
Her love for jewellery developed after her mother gave her a gold locket when she was nine.
The 30-year old credits the necklace with changing her life, and now she makes jewellery herself from her workshop in Hackney Downs Studios, in Amhurst Terrace.
“My mum was a single parent, and did not have much money,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I knew that she saved, sacrificed and grafted for me for a nearly a year to buy this precious gift.
“I knew it was gold and delicate, so I had to take care of it.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Kassandra went on to learn the traditional techniques of making handmade jewellery in Hatton Garden, the UK’s biggest jewellery district.
Now, alongside organising her comedy shows, Kassandra designs “ethical” jewellery making sure to source gems and metals from fairly traded sources, and can cater for “minimalist styles” to “loud pieces”.