Made in Hackney: London fields furniture makers still in the hot seat
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week upholsterer Charlie Fox tells us about his decades working in London Fields.
Charlie Fox has been making stuff in Hackney for more than 25 years.
He’s the boss at Poetstyle upholsterers, the first company to move into the Bayford Street Business Centre.
They do everything from traditional furniture to modern bespoke designers. Charlie said: “We’ve done stuff for The Simpsons, Louis Vuitton, Mick Jagger... half the time we don’t know where it’s going.
“I was on holiday once and saw Holly Valance’s Kiss Kiss video and said: ‘I made that chair!’.”
You may also want to watch:
Charlie has seen the industry change immeasurably, but the fact he hasn’t fixed his website since it “broke” five years ago gives an idea of how trade is.
Anyone who needs some furniture can visit him in Bayford Street, London Fields, or call 020 8533 0915.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year