Made in Hackney: London fields furniture makers still in the hot seat
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week upholsterer Charlie Fox tells us about his decades working in London Fields.
Charlie Fox has been making stuff in Hackney for more than 25 years.
He’s the boss at Poetstyle upholsterers, the first company to move into the Bayford Street Business Centre.
They do everything from traditional furniture to modern bespoke designers. Charlie said: “We’ve done stuff for The Simpsons, Louis Vuitton, Mick Jagger... half the time we don’t know where it’s going.
“I was on holiday once and saw Holly Valance’s Kiss Kiss video and said: ‘I made that chair!’.”
You may also want to watch:
Charlie has seen the industry change immeasurably, but the fact he hasn’t fixed his website since it “broke” five years ago gives an idea of how trade is.
Anyone who needs some furniture can visit him in Bayford Street, London Fields, or call 020 8533 0915.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 10 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search