Made in Hackney: Anna Traut launches her cushion brand Me and Anna
- Credit: James Medcraft
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Anna Traut’s HQ in Dalston where she makes her fluffy cushions.
Anna Traut’s friends encouraged her to start selling her homemade cushions after she gifted them as presents – and fast-forward one year she has just launched her own label Me and Anna.
She embroiders a fluffy woollen circle onto a base of natural woven cotton, and backs it with a bright velvet.
A 50x50cm cushion will set you back £110, with smaller 40x40cm ones retailing at £85.
She estimates each one takes about five hours to make at her Dalston studio.
You may also want to watch:
Anna, 31, who also works full time as a garment technologist for a fashion company, said: “Every single product is unique and it does take a lot of work.
“It’s always been my passion to create little things you can have in your room, which make you smile when you look at them - something fun.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
She sells the cushions online on her website which launched at the weekend and hopes to sell some at markets in the lead-up to Christmas, because in person you can “feel how fluffy it is and how nice it is when it comes together”.
“At the moment it is just cushions but I have plenty of ideas for what I want to do,” she said.
“Obviously to do something like this you have to consider the financial situation and being able to starting it off as a job on the side. It’s a little dream come true.”