Made in Hackney: Anna Traut launches her cushion brand Me and Anna
- Credit: James Medcraft
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Anna Traut’s HQ in Dalston where she makes her fluffy cushions.
Anna Traut’s friends encouraged her to start selling her homemade cushions after she gifted them as presents – and fast-forward one year she has just launched her own label Me and Anna.
She embroiders a fluffy woollen circle onto a base of natural woven cotton, and backs it with a bright velvet.
A 50x50cm cushion will set you back £110, with smaller 40x40cm ones retailing at £85.
She estimates each one takes about five hours to make at her Dalston studio.
Anna, 31, who also works full time as a garment technologist for a fashion company, said: “Every single product is unique and it does take a lot of work.
“It’s always been my passion to create little things you can have in your room, which make you smile when you look at them - something fun.”
- 1 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 2 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 3 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 4 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 5 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 6 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
She sells the cushions online on her website which launched at the weekend and hopes to sell some at markets in the lead-up to Christmas, because in person you can “feel how fluffy it is and how nice it is when it comes together”.
“At the moment it is just cushions but I have plenty of ideas for what I want to do,” she said.
“Obviously to do something like this you have to consider the financial situation and being able to starting it off as a job on the side. It’s a little dream come true.”