Made in Hackney: Anna Traut launches her cushion brand Me and Anna
- Credit: James Medcraft
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Anna Traut’s HQ in Dalston where she makes her fluffy cushions.
Anna Traut’s friends encouraged her to start selling her homemade cushions after she gifted them as presents – and fast-forward one year she has just launched her own label Me and Anna.
She embroiders a fluffy woollen circle onto a base of natural woven cotton, and backs it with a bright velvet.
A 50x50cm cushion will set you back £110, with smaller 40x40cm ones retailing at £85.
She estimates each one takes about five hours to make at her Dalston studio.
You may also want to watch:
Anna, 31, who also works full time as a garment technologist for a fashion company, said: “Every single product is unique and it does take a lot of work.
“It’s always been my passion to create little things you can have in your room, which make you smile when you look at them - something fun.”
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 7 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 10 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
She sells the cushions online on her website which launched at the weekend and hopes to sell some at markets in the lead-up to Christmas, because in person you can “feel how fluffy it is and how nice it is when it comes together”.
“At the moment it is just cushions but I have plenty of ideas for what I want to do,” she said.
“Obviously to do something like this you have to consider the financial situation and being able to starting it off as a job on the side. It’s a little dream come true.”