Made in Hackney: Mimi Berry on the leather bags she designs in Lower Clapton Road
- Credit: Mimi Berry
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to Mimi Berry about her leather bags.
Mimi Berry designs her leather bags and accessories from a small studio at the back of her showroom in Lower Clapton Road.
She launched the label that bears her name after studying fashion design at Central St Martin’s, where she made hats and bags to complement each of the six outfits she designed for her degree portfolio.
She told the Gazette: “When I took the collection to a shop called The Cross in Holland Park they bought the accessories and bags but not the clothes! So I started making them from home.
“It takes patience and practice to make them.”
You may also want to watch:
The brand has grown so much that the items are now made in factories elsewhere in the UK, and sold internationally.
But Mimi says she is still proud of the fact her goods are designed in Hackney and stitched on British soil.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images