Made In Hackney: Miss Crofton’s vintage underwear is a ‘blast from the past’
- Credit: Miss Crofton
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a designer who makes ‘vintage’ underwear.
Georgia Campbell began her vintage-inspired underwear brand Miss Croften with recycled materials – but now she uses buys her fabric new in Ridley Road, Mare Street and Walthamstow.
She started out eight years ago, aged 21, making the makes the bras, panties and loungewear in her bedroom with a friend, and selling them at markets all over London.
Although she had grown up sewing and completed a foundation course at London College of Fashion, she had no formal training in underwear creation, and picked up a lot of tips from her friend.
Now she works out of Mare Street Studios, near her London Fields home.
You may also want to watch:
“The fabrics are quite tricky to work with because they are fine,” she told the Gazette.
“I don’t design on paper – I go straight ahead and make a sample.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Hackney gym owners fined £1,000 for breaching Covid rules
“We go up to D cups, but none of the bras are underwired so they aren’t so much for the bigger breasts.”
She sells the underwear to stockists like Urban Outfitters, and runs a stall at Broadway Market on a Saturday.