Made In Hackney: Miss Crofton’s vintage underwear is a ‘blast from the past’
- Credit: Miss Crofton
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a designer who makes ‘vintage’ underwear.
Georgia Campbell began her vintage-inspired underwear brand Miss Croften with recycled materials – but now she uses buys her fabric new in Ridley Road, Mare Street and Walthamstow.
She started out eight years ago, aged 21, making the makes the bras, panties and loungewear in her bedroom with a friend, and selling them at markets all over London.
Although she had grown up sewing and completed a foundation course at London College of Fashion, she had no formal training in underwear creation, and picked up a lot of tips from her friend.
Now she works out of Mare Street Studios, near her London Fields home.
You may also want to watch:
“The fabrics are quite tricky to work with because they are fine,” she told the Gazette.
“I don’t design on paper – I go straight ahead and make a sample.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
“We go up to D cups, but none of the bras are underwired so they aren’t so much for the bigger breasts.”
She sells the underwear to stockists like Urban Outfitters, and runs a stall at Broadway Market on a Saturday.