Made In Hackney: Miss Crofton’s vintage underwear is a ‘blast from the past’
- Credit: Miss Crofton
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a designer who makes ‘vintage’ underwear.
Georgia Campbell began her vintage-inspired underwear brand Miss Croften with recycled materials – but now she uses buys her fabric new in Ridley Road, Mare Street and Walthamstow.
She started out eight years ago, aged 21, making the makes the bras, panties and loungewear in her bedroom with a friend, and selling them at markets all over London.
Although she had grown up sewing and completed a foundation course at London College of Fashion, she had no formal training in underwear creation, and picked up a lot of tips from her friend.
Now she works out of Mare Street Studios, near her London Fields home.
You may also want to watch:
“The fabrics are quite tricky to work with because they are fine,” she told the Gazette.
“I don’t design on paper – I go straight ahead and make a sample.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
“We go up to D cups, but none of the bras are underwired so they aren’t so much for the bigger breasts.”
She sells the underwear to stockists like Urban Outfitters, and runs a stall at Broadway Market on a Saturday.