Made In Hackney: Miss Crofton’s vintage underwear is a ‘blast from the past’
- Credit: Miss Crofton
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to a designer who makes ‘vintage’ underwear.
Georgia Campbell began her vintage-inspired underwear brand Miss Croften with recycled materials – but now she uses buys her fabric new in Ridley Road, Mare Street and Walthamstow.
She started out eight years ago, aged 21, making the makes the bras, panties and loungewear in her bedroom with a friend, and selling them at markets all over London.
Although she had grown up sewing and completed a foundation course at London College of Fashion, she had no formal training in underwear creation, and picked up a lot of tips from her friend.
Now she works out of Mare Street Studios, near her London Fields home.
“The fabrics are quite tricky to work with because they are fine,” she told the Gazette.
“I don’t design on paper – I go straight ahead and make a sample.
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
“We go up to D cups, but none of the bras are underwired so they aren’t so much for the bigger breasts.”
She sells the underwear to stockists like Urban Outfitters, and runs a stall at Broadway Market on a Saturday.