Made in Hackney: Native Products – Lower Clapton pair’s hair care is a cut above
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to a pair whose hair products are being sold around the world.
Two friends are taking over the world of hair products from their barbers in Lower Clapton Road.
Designer Gavin Colwill and barber Mark Jones are co-founders of E-Street Barbers and Native Products – the cosmetics range they made because the existing ones weren’t cutting it.
And other people seem to agree with them, because Native is now stocked in Berlin, Glasgow, Miami and Taiwan.
“Mark had opened his first barbers in Leeds and was using products from Australia and the USA but none of them were working. He started thinking about doing his own range and asked me to do the designing and branding.
You may also want to watch:
“It launched in late 2015 and we opened E-Street in August 2016. Almost within the first two posts about native we put on Instagram we had three stockists – it was crazy.”
The pair are now looking for investors and next month will launch a crowdfunder.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images