Made in Hackney: Native Products – Lower Clapton pair’s hair care is a cut above
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to a pair whose hair products are being sold around the world.
Two friends are taking over the world of hair products from their barbers in Lower Clapton Road.
Designer Gavin Colwill and barber Mark Jones are co-founders of E-Street Barbers and Native Products – the cosmetics range they made because the existing ones weren’t cutting it.
And other people seem to agree with them, because Native is now stocked in Berlin, Glasgow, Miami and Taiwan.
“Mark had opened his first barbers in Leeds and was using products from Australia and the USA but none of them were working. He started thinking about doing his own range and asked me to do the designing and branding.
You may also want to watch:
“It launched in late 2015 and we opened E-Street in August 2016. Almost within the first two posts about native we put on Instagram we had three stockists – it was crazy.”
The pair are now looking for investors and next month will launch a crowdfunder.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift