Made in Hackney: Native Products – Lower Clapton pair’s hair care is a cut above
- Credit: Archant
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to a pair whose hair products are being sold around the world.
Two friends are taking over the world of hair products from their barbers in Lower Clapton Road.
Designer Gavin Colwill and barber Mark Jones are co-founders of E-Street Barbers and Native Products – the cosmetics range they made because the existing ones weren’t cutting it.
And other people seem to agree with them, because Native is now stocked in Berlin, Glasgow, Miami and Taiwan.
“Mark had opened his first barbers in Leeds and was using products from Australia and the USA but none of them were working. He started thinking about doing his own range and asked me to do the designing and branding.
You may also want to watch:
“It launched in late 2015 and we opened E-Street in August 2016. Almost within the first two posts about native we put on Instagram we had three stockists – it was crazy.”
The pair are now looking for investors and next month will launch a crowdfunder.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions