Made in Hackney: Our London Vodka
- Credit: Our London Vodka
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we speak to Jack Cartwright from Our London, which blends and hand bottles vodka at a micro-distillery in the railway arches underneath Hackney Downs station.
The brand is part of a “global family of vodkas” franchised by multinational, Pernod Ricard.
“They come and build the distillery and teach us how to make the vodka, and we are left to develop the brand ourselves,” explains Jack.
“There’s a recipe for the global product but each one is slightly different - it varies with the water you use and what you make it with.”
Vodka is a neutral spirit and can be made from anything that has sugar in it. Our London use wheat grain sourced from high-quality farms in the Midlands, to make a “smooth and citrusy” product.
You may also want to watch:
While the fermentation is done off site because of the terrible smell it gives off, it is then brought to Hackney and blended with a “flavour component” from Sweden, redistilled and bottled.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12