Made in Hackney: Philippa Long veers away from ‘princessy’ bridal wear
- Credit: Philippa Long
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Philippa Long’s HQ in Ridley Road Studios where she designs, fits out and makes wedding wear
Fashion designer Philippa Long never thought she’d get into bridal wear.
“I was reticent to do it because you always hear lots of nightmares stories about people changing their minds all the time,” she said.
But four years ago when she made a one-off bespoke commission she changed her mind herself.
“I was taken aback at how much I enjoyed it,” she said. “She was a tom boy and didn’t have a great experience going to bridal boutiques looking for a dress, and between us we enjoyed the process of finding a dress she wanted to wear on her wedding day.”
You may also want to watch:
Philippa, who works from Ridley Road Studios, prefers taking on commissions that are a little bit out of the ordinary, adding: “Traditionally bridal wear has fallen into a princessy bracket, and in the last five years people have broken out of that and think: ‘I don’t have to look like a bride on my wedding day. I can look like me’. I’m really excited when I meet brides who don’t necessarily want a dress or for it to be white.”
Bespoke dresses cost from £2,500 upwards.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse