Made in Hackney: Philippa Long veers away from ‘princessy’ bridal wear
- Credit: Philippa Long
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit Philippa Long’s HQ in Ridley Road Studios where she designs, fits out and makes wedding wear
Fashion designer Philippa Long never thought she’d get into bridal wear.
“I was reticent to do it because you always hear lots of nightmares stories about people changing their minds all the time,” she said.
But four years ago when she made a one-off bespoke commission she changed her mind herself.
“I was taken aback at how much I enjoyed it,” she said. “She was a tom boy and didn’t have a great experience going to bridal boutiques looking for a dress, and between us we enjoyed the process of finding a dress she wanted to wear on her wedding day.”
You may also want to watch:
Philippa, who works from Ridley Road Studios, prefers taking on commissions that are a little bit out of the ordinary, adding: “Traditionally bridal wear has fallen into a princessy bracket, and in the last five years people have broken out of that and think: ‘I don’t have to look like a bride on my wedding day. I can look like me’. I’m really excited when I meet brides who don’t necessarily want a dress or for it to be white.”
Bespoke dresses cost from £2,500 upwards.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 10 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space