Made in Hackney: The Happy Tummy Co started out as a ‘mad science experiment’ in Karen O’Donoghue’s Lower Clapton kitchen
- Credit: The Happy Tummy Co
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit The Happy Tummy Co’s bakery in London Fields
Karen O’Donoghue has turned what she dubs a “mad science experiment” into a commercial brand of fermented, probiotic, gluten-free, organic loaves and scones, endorsed by iconic actress Goldie Hawn.
The 31-year-old from Ireland started fermenting seeds and grains together in her Rushmore Road kitchen seven years ago, spurred on to create a product to help deal with the IBS she was born with.
Doing maths to get the right ratio of soluble to insoluble and prebiotic fibres, it took her 18 months to get it right.
By 2015 word got out and she was driving around delivering to people’s homes. But then Shoreditch House caught whiff and invited her to give a talk to a crowd of 200.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone wanted to buy some and said it was life-changing, so the next day I set up the company,” said Karen.
The Happy Tummy Co is now pumping out 160 loaves a day in bakeries in Hemsley Place, London Fields and Battersea.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
With plans to soon upscale to 1,000 loaves a day, she feels “2018 is our year”.