Made in Hackney: The Happy Tummy Co started out as a ‘mad science experiment’ in Karen O’Donoghue’s Lower Clapton kitchen
- Credit: The Happy Tummy Co
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit The Happy Tummy Co’s bakery in London Fields
Karen O’Donoghue has turned what she dubs a “mad science experiment” into a commercial brand of fermented, probiotic, gluten-free, organic loaves and scones, endorsed by iconic actress Goldie Hawn.
The 31-year-old from Ireland started fermenting seeds and grains together in her Rushmore Road kitchen seven years ago, spurred on to create a product to help deal with the IBS she was born with.
Doing maths to get the right ratio of soluble to insoluble and prebiotic fibres, it took her 18 months to get it right.
By 2015 word got out and she was driving around delivering to people’s homes. But then Shoreditch House caught whiff and invited her to give a talk to a crowd of 200.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone wanted to buy some and said it was life-changing, so the next day I set up the company,” said Karen.
The Happy Tummy Co is now pumping out 160 loaves a day in bakeries in Hemsley Place, London Fields and Battersea.
- 1 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 9 The "milkmen for beer" now deliver in Hackney
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
With plans to soon upscale to 1,000 loaves a day, she feels “2018 is our year”.