Made in Hackney: Vel-Oh bicycle bags
- Credit: Archant
Zulfi Iqbal and his wife Greta Jankunaite decided to design their own bicycle bags to overcome the “frustration” of cycling to work with one bag and having to change over to another.
They design and make everything for Vel-Oh in their Well Street home, and all the materials are sourced in the UK, including British Millerain waxed cotton and leather.
“It was frustrating cycling to work with one bag and having to change to another bag, and we thought why not design a bag that does both - surely there must be a combination of these two together where you can still look stylish but also have the practicality of using it on a bike.
It took them nine months to design their first bag and another year testing it before they launched the range last summer.
“We were testing how it looked, the comfort factor, and if it was presentable to go to work in,” said Zulfi.
You may also want to watch:
“We tested it on the Dunwich Dynamo, a cycle ride which starts at London fields and goes to Dunwich beach in Suffolk, which is a 125 mile night ride, and it was a success - so then we went to market.”
Vel-Oh bags are sold in Velorution cycle store where Zulfi, 43, is store manager.
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 3 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 8 Teenagers shot and stabbed in Hackney
- 9 'Arrested for being on my balcony', a young black man speaks out
- 10 £20,000 reward for information on Stoke Newington murder
They have just launched a kick-starter to fund four new bag designs.