Made in Hackney: Vel-Oh bicycle bags
- Credit: Archant
Zulfi Iqbal and his wife Greta Jankunaite decided to design their own bicycle bags to overcome the “frustration” of cycling to work with one bag and having to change over to another.
They design and make everything for Vel-Oh in their Well Street home, and all the materials are sourced in the UK, including British Millerain waxed cotton and leather.
“It was frustrating cycling to work with one bag and having to change to another bag, and we thought why not design a bag that does both - surely there must be a combination of these two together where you can still look stylish but also have the practicality of using it on a bike.
It took them nine months to design their first bag and another year testing it before they launched the range last summer.
“We were testing how it looked, the comfort factor, and if it was presentable to go to work in,” said Zulfi.
You may also want to watch:
“We tested it on the Dunwich Dynamo, a cycle ride which starts at London fields and goes to Dunwich beach in Suffolk, which is a 125 mile night ride, and it was a success - so then we went to market.”
Vel-Oh bags are sold in Velorution cycle store where Zulfi, 43, is store manager.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
They have just launched a kick-starter to fund four new bag designs.