Made in Hackney: Why making House of Buckley candles can ‘look like a scene from Breaking Bad’
- Credit: House of Buckley
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit House of Buckley’s HQ in Stoke Newington.
Caroline Buckley’s soy aromatherapy candles are all made in her kitchen in Lordship Park, Stoke Newington.
The 45-year-old mother-of-two started making them last year when her husband died unexpectedly and she was made redundant. She has found the process therapeutic in helping her deal with her grief.
“I don’t bake and I’ve always been passionate about aromas and smells and how they can impact on your emotion and wellbeing,” she said.
She is now making about 30 House of Buckley candles a week. They sell for £18.
“There’s quite a science behind it in terms of getting your measurements and adding at the right temperature,” she said, “and getting the wick the right size.
“You can’t put essential oils straight into candles all the time as they can be flammable.
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 3 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 4 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 7 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 10 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
“If I’m on a roll the kitchen is like a scene from Breaking Bad. There’s a lot of pans and fragrances.”