Made in Hackney: Why making House of Buckley candles can ‘look like a scene from Breaking Bad’
- Credit: House of Buckley
Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we visit House of Buckley’s HQ in Stoke Newington.
Caroline Buckley’s soy aromatherapy candles are all made in her kitchen in Lordship Park, Stoke Newington.
The 45-year-old mother-of-two started making them last year when her husband died unexpectedly and she was made redundant. She has found the process therapeutic in helping her deal with her grief.
“I don’t bake and I’ve always been passionate about aromas and smells and how they can impact on your emotion and wellbeing,” she said.
She is now making about 30 House of Buckley candles a week. They sell for £18.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s quite a science behind it in terms of getting your measurements and adding at the right temperature,” she said, “and getting the wick the right size.
“You can’t put essential oils straight into candles all the time as they can be flammable.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
“If I’m on a roll the kitchen is like a scene from Breaking Bad. There’s a lot of pans and fragrances.”