Man, 54, arrested after ‘elderly’ woman killed in Lower Clapton Road collision
A 54-year-old man has been arrested after a woman was killed in a collision with a lorry in Lower Clapton Road this morning (Wednesday).
The female pedestrian, who is believed to be elderly, went under a 22-wheel lorry near the junction with Urswick Road shortly before 10.35am.
London’s Air Ambulance attended the crash but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
A shop worker who witnessed the accident said: “It happened right in front of our eyes. It was an old lady, a black lady with a walking stick and a bag. It was a big, big lorry that went over her and then the car behind went over her too. I don’t think either of them saw her though until people started running over and screaming.
“It is a dangerous crossing. The lorry was turning right into Urswick Road and this all happened in front of us at about 10.30 this morning. I thought it was not real. We were screaming and my colleague is just in shock. It’s terrible.”
You may also want to watch:
Police have arrested a 54-year-old man on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and taken him to an east London police station.
Urswick Road and Homerton High Street are closed in both directions and traffic is queuing between Ponsford Street and Lower Clapton Road.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 5 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 10 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney