Man critical following Mare Street blaze
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 30s has suffered serious burn injuries following a fire in Mare Street today.
London Fire Brigade, London Ambulance Service and the Met Police were called to Mare Street, near London Fields just after midday, where a van and a building were ablaze.
A police spokesman said: “At this early stage, it is believed that the fire was caused as a result of a works carried out near a generator inside a commercial property.
“As a matter of course, the Health and Safety Executive will be informed.”
The injured man, who was one of the workmen, was found at the scene suffering from serious burn injuries, and has been taken to an East London hospital in a critical condition.
Local road closures are in effect, with Mare Street and Paragon Lane and Loddiges Road still closed.
Police have stressed the incident is not terrorist related.
- 1 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 2 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 3 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 5 Shoreditch Park Academy officially opens its doors
- 6 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 7 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 8 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Not just for Christmas: Rescue dogs looking for forever homes