Man critical following Mare Street blaze
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 30s has suffered serious burn injuries following a fire in Mare Street today.
London Fire Brigade, London Ambulance Service and the Met Police were called to Mare Street, near London Fields just after midday, where a van and a building were ablaze.
A police spokesman said: “At this early stage, it is believed that the fire was caused as a result of a works carried out near a generator inside a commercial property.
“As a matter of course, the Health and Safety Executive will be informed.”
The injured man, who was one of the workmen, was found at the scene suffering from serious burn injuries, and has been taken to an East London hospital in a critical condition.
You may also want to watch:
Local road closures are in effect, with Mare Street and Paragon Lane and Loddiges Road still closed.
Police have stressed the incident is not terrorist related.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 7 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 10 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'