Man found dead in “gay bathhouse”
Mystery surrounds the death of a man who was found dead in a Shoreditch “gay bathhouse” on Wednesday (July 12).
Police and ambulance crews were called after the man, who has not yet been formally identified, was found in the Chariot Roman Spa in Fairchild Street, at about 7.20am.
The venue is known as a sauna catering for the gay community in the area and is advertised on some websites as a “gay bathhouse”.
The man’s next-of-kin have yet to be informed, and a post-mortem is due to be held today (Thursday).
A Hackney Police spokeswoman confirmed there have been no arrests and added: “The death is being treated as unexplained at this stage and is being investigated by Hackney officers.”
You may also want to watch:
Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information, and want to speak to anyone who was at the spa between on the evening of Tuesday, July 10, and Wednesday morning.
Anyone with information should call officers on 020 8721 7760 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction