Manhole cover explodes in busy Dalston street
An explosion underneath a busy Dalston street caused a manhole cover to blow up this afternoon (Wednesday).
Hywel Jones, 47, was driving past when the incident happened in Kingsland Road, near the junction with Pearson Street, at about 1pm.
He said: “I saw and heard and felt an explosion by the side of the pavement. There was a flash and red flames. My window was open so I felt the pressure change.
“I instinctively kept on driving but, as I looked back, I saw smoke pouring out from the pavement.”
No one was injured in the incident, but the road was closed for a short time.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman told the Gazette: “We think it was a telephone junction box that caused the problem underneath the pavement and blew the manhole cover up.”
Hackney police, fire crews, and BT engineers are still at the scene.
- 1 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 Dalston Lane closure after rider taken to hospital
- 4 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
- 5 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 6 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 5 things to look forward to at All Points East Festival 2022
Mr Jones, a TV producer from South Wales who was in London for work, said: “It was very lucky that no one was hurt.”