Manhole cover explodes in busy Dalston street
An explosion underneath a busy Dalston street caused a manhole cover to blow up this afternoon (Wednesday).
Hywel Jones, 47, was driving past when the incident happened in Kingsland Road, near the junction with Pearson Street, at about 1pm.
He said: “I saw and heard and felt an explosion by the side of the pavement. There was a flash and red flames. My window was open so I felt the pressure change.
“I instinctively kept on driving but, as I looked back, I saw smoke pouring out from the pavement.”
No one was injured in the incident, but the road was closed for a short time.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesman told the Gazette: “We think it was a telephone junction box that caused the problem underneath the pavement and blew the manhole cover up.”
Hackney police, fire crews, and BT engineers are still at the scene.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
Mr Jones, a TV producer from South Wales who was in London for work, said: “It was very lucky that no one was hurt.”