Marvin Couson murder: Fresh appeal 14 years after young dad shot outside Lime Bar, Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
The heartbroken family of a man who died in a vegetative state 13 years after being shot outside a Shoreditch bar have spoken of their pain in a fresh appeal for witnesses.
Marvin Couson had been confined to a hospital bed unable to communicate or do anything for himself since he was shot outside what is now known as the Queen of Hoxton in May 2002 – but he succumbed to his injuries in August 2015 aged 39.
A murder investigation was opened after a post-mortem examination gave the cause of his death as a brain injury suffered as a direct result of the shooting.
A police reward of £40,000 was offered last year to anyone who can help trace his killers.
Det Ch Insp Noel McHugh, from the homicide and major crime command, said: “We have followed up every call received in the incident room. There have been some significant calls and it’s fair to say that even the criminal fraternity are angered by what happened to Marvin.
You may also want to watch:
“Marvin was not involved in gangs or crime but clearly those who killed him and were in possession of firearms that night had a criminal background.
“In such murders we hear that there is a code and you don’t speak out.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
“If that is your thinking, please take a look at the pictures of Marvin suffering and consider the years of distress his mother has endured and continues to endure. You could hold the key to unlocking this investigation.”
Marvin was 26 when he was shot in the chest just after 3.30am on May 12 outside the Lime in London Bar, known as the Lime Bar, in Curtain Road – now the Queen of Hoxton.
He had been at a commercial party with his cousin and a friend. The bar was packed out with about 600 people. But they fled, along with hundreds of others, when shots were fired inside the bar.
Detectives want to trace men in a T-reg red or burgundy Ford Fiesta seen speeding in Curtain Road the night the shots were fired on May 12, 2002, and are appealing for anyone with information to contact the incident room on 020 8785 8099, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.