Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- Credit: Hemin Abdullah
A Ridley Road market trader has been selling masks at "rock bottom" prices since the pandemic began, as well as giving them out free singles to anyone short of cash.
Hemin Abdullah, also known as Mr Hamma, has been trading in Ridley Road market for 15 years selling spices.
But for more than a year now, he has been offering boxes of masks for very low prices, currently selling 50 masks for £1, to help local people social distance.
Hemin says he has been selling the high quality masks at "rock bottom" prices. They are available on Amazon for about seven times his price.
He told the Gazette: "During the pandemic lots of people lost there jobs and I have always traded throughout the pandemic without stop.
"I have seen lots of people struggling, also my seven-year-old daughter got blood cancer and the NHS was very helpful.
"So, I decided to give something back to the community and started ordering masks from China and selling them at cost price so they can be affordable to everyone."
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 3 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 4 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 5 Hackney student's urine project could see her crowned UK Young Scientist of the Year
- 6 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 7 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 8 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 River Lea boaters oppose plans for 'water safety' zones with flotilla of protest
Hemin says he has so far sold 600,000 masks.