Location, location, location: Mason and Company craft beer bar closes due to the ‘challenges’ of Hackney Wick
- Credit: Archant
A bar opened by Five Points co-founder Ed Mason has closed because of its “challenging location” in Hackney Wick.
Mason and Company opened in June 2016 in Canalside – a parade in the former 2012 Olympic press centre, which has been turned into a business complex managed by Here East.
The bar in East Bay Lane which fronts the River Lee Navigation, showcased craft beer from independent breweries, and was shortlisted as a finalist in the Great British Pub Awards this year.
But despite the recognition and the fact they managed invested a “tremendous amount of energy, passion, commitment and sweat”, they have decided to call it a day.
“There is no getting away from the fact that we opened Mason and Company in what has proved a challenging location,” they said in a statement.
You may also want to watch:
“The difference in footfall and trade between summer and winter has been a story of extreme opposites.
“While during summer and for special events we have had some very busy weeks, sadly during the majority of the year, outside the peak summer months, the footfall to the overall development and location has not been high enough to sustain a successful business in the long term.”
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
CEO of Here East, Gavin Poole, only found out Mason and Co had closed on September 7 after reading their statement on social media, and told the Gazette he had been “naturally disappointed”.
“We were also disappointed with their statement as Here East has continued to attract new tenants that frequent Canalside and the popularity of the destination in the wider community has grown too, resulting in this prolonged summer being incredibly successful for our Canalside retailers,” he said.
“We wish the departing team well and when ready, the unit offers a fantastic opportunity for someone to come and join a unique destination by the canal at Here East.”
Mason and Company served beer from independent breweries, as well as rotating a selection from its parent brewery Five Points.
Along the same strip, Canalside is home to Randy’s Wing Bar, restaurants Gotto, and Shane’s, The Breakfast Club, Four Quarters bar and Mother café.