Massive fire in East London visible from miles around
Major incident after Walthamstow industrial units go up in “spectacular fashion”
A massive fire, visible from miles around, erupted just before 4.30pm at an industral unit site in Billet Road, Walthamstow, E17.
There are 15 fire engines and around 75 fire fighters currently battling the blaze.
Gas cylinders - which can exposed when exposed to heat - are stored inside the units, so firefighters have set up a temporary hazard zone.
London Fire Brigade’s Peter Critchell, who is at the scene, said: “There’s no doubt - this is a large blaze.
You may also want to watch:
“Our firefighters are working extremely hard in very warm conditions to try and get the flames under control and prevent it from spreading further.”
A police spokesman said the blaze had started inside a tyre factory.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
“The fact that it’s tyres doesn’t help, they went up in a spectacular fashion,” he said.
It is not thought anyone has been injured.
Firefighters from Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Chingford, Woodford and surrounding fire stations are at the scene.