Massive fire in East London visible from miles around
Major incident after Walthamstow industrial units go up in “spectacular fashion”
A massive fire, visible from miles around, erupted just before 4.30pm at an industral unit site in Billet Road, Walthamstow, E17.
There are 15 fire engines and around 75 fire fighters currently battling the blaze.
Gas cylinders - which can exposed when exposed to heat - are stored inside the units, so firefighters have set up a temporary hazard zone.
London Fire Brigade’s Peter Critchell, who is at the scene, said: “There’s no doubt - this is a large blaze.
“Our firefighters are working extremely hard in very warm conditions to try and get the flames under control and prevent it from spreading further.”
A police spokesman said the blaze had started inside a tyre factory.
- 1 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 2 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 3 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 4 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 5 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 6 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 7 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 10 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
“The fact that it’s tyres doesn’t help, they went up in a spectacular fashion,” he said.
It is not thought anyone has been injured.
Firefighters from Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Chingford, Woodford and surrounding fire stations are at the scene.