Massive fire in East London visible from miles around
Major incident after Walthamstow industrial units go up in “spectacular fashion”
A massive fire, visible from miles around, erupted just before 4.30pm at an industral unit site in Billet Road, Walthamstow, E17.
There are 15 fire engines and around 75 fire fighters currently battling the blaze.
Gas cylinders - which can exposed when exposed to heat - are stored inside the units, so firefighters have set up a temporary hazard zone.
London Fire Brigade’s Peter Critchell, who is at the scene, said: “There’s no doubt - this is a large blaze.
You may also want to watch:
“Our firefighters are working extremely hard in very warm conditions to try and get the flames under control and prevent it from spreading further.”
A police spokesman said the blaze had started inside a tyre factory.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 10 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
“The fact that it’s tyres doesn’t help, they went up in a spectacular fashion,” he said.
It is not thought anyone has been injured.
Firefighters from Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Chingford, Woodford and surrounding fire stations are at the scene.