Massive fire in East London visible from miles around
Major incident after Walthamstow industrial units go up in “spectacular fashion”
A massive fire, visible from miles around, erupted just before 4.30pm at an industral unit site in Billet Road, Walthamstow, E17.
There are 15 fire engines and around 75 fire fighters currently battling the blaze.
Gas cylinders - which can exposed when exposed to heat - are stored inside the units, so firefighters have set up a temporary hazard zone.
London Fire Brigade’s Peter Critchell, who is at the scene, said: “There’s no doubt - this is a large blaze.
You may also want to watch:
“Our firefighters are working extremely hard in very warm conditions to try and get the flames under control and prevent it from spreading further.”
A police spokesman said the blaze had started inside a tyre factory.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
“The fact that it’s tyres doesn’t help, they went up in a spectacular fashion,” he said.
It is not thought anyone has been injured.
Firefighters from Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Chingford, Woodford and surrounding fire stations are at the scene.