Spurs hit back to stun Ajax and book Champions League final against Liverpool
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Champions League semi-final second leg: Ajax 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3 (3-3 on aggregate and Spurs progress on away goals)
Tottenham Hotspur replicated Liverpool's Champions League miracle as Lucas Moura's dramatic second-half hat-trick secured a stunning 3-2 win over Ajax which sets up an all-English final.
Spurs were dead and buried at half-time in the second leg at the Johan Cryuff Arena as they trailed the Amsterdam outfit 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate after goals from Matthijs De Ligt and Hakim Ziyech.
However, a miraculous comeback, spearheaded by Moura, was completed deep into added time when the Brazilian slotted home a loose ball to spark amazing scenes in Amsterdam.
It continues the remarkable progress for Spurs under boss Mauricio Pochettino, who has led the club further in Europe than any other.
You may also want to watch:
Jurgen Klopp's men may have thought their name was on the trophy after the manner of their comeback against Barcelona, but Spurs will have other ideas and it promises to be a brilliant spectacle in Madrid on June 1.
For Ajax, a brilliant run in this competition, where they beat Real Madrid and Juventus in previous rounds, ended in the most heartbreaking of ways and with their side set to be picked apart in the summer, they are unlikely to have a better chance of winning European football's premier club competition than this.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted