Spurs hit back to stun Ajax and book Champions League final against Liverpool
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Champions League semi-final second leg: Ajax 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3 (3-3 on aggregate and Spurs progress on away goals)
Tottenham Hotspur replicated Liverpool's Champions League miracle as Lucas Moura's dramatic second-half hat-trick secured a stunning 3-2 win over Ajax which sets up an all-English final.
Spurs were dead and buried at half-time in the second leg at the Johan Cryuff Arena as they trailed the Amsterdam outfit 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate after goals from Matthijs De Ligt and Hakim Ziyech.
However, a miraculous comeback, spearheaded by Moura, was completed deep into added time when the Brazilian slotted home a loose ball to spark amazing scenes in Amsterdam.
It continues the remarkable progress for Spurs under boss Mauricio Pochettino, who has led the club further in Europe than any other.
You may also want to watch:
Jurgen Klopp's men may have thought their name was on the trophy after the manner of their comeback against Barcelona, but Spurs will have other ideas and it promises to be a brilliant spectacle in Madrid on June 1.
For Ajax, a brilliant run in this competition, where they beat Real Madrid and Juventus in previous rounds, ended in the most heartbreaking of ways and with their side set to be picked apart in the summer, they are unlikely to have a better chance of winning European football's premier club competition than this.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images