Spurs hit back to stun Ajax and book Champions League final against Liverpool
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Champions League semi-final second leg: Ajax 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3 (3-3 on aggregate and Spurs progress on away goals)
Tottenham Hotspur replicated Liverpool's Champions League miracle as Lucas Moura's dramatic second-half hat-trick secured a stunning 3-2 win over Ajax which sets up an all-English final.
Spurs were dead and buried at half-time in the second leg at the Johan Cryuff Arena as they trailed the Amsterdam outfit 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate after goals from Matthijs De Ligt and Hakim Ziyech.
However, a miraculous comeback, spearheaded by Moura, was completed deep into added time when the Brazilian slotted home a loose ball to spark amazing scenes in Amsterdam.
It continues the remarkable progress for Spurs under boss Mauricio Pochettino, who has led the club further in Europe than any other.
Jurgen Klopp's men may have thought their name was on the trophy after the manner of their comeback against Barcelona, but Spurs will have other ideas and it promises to be a brilliant spectacle in Madrid on June 1.
For Ajax, a brilliant run in this competition, where they beat Real Madrid and Juventus in previous rounds, ended in the most heartbreaking of ways and with their side set to be picked apart in the summer, they are unlikely to have a better chance of winning European football's premier club competition than this.
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney