Spurs Ladies secure promotion to FA Women’s Super League
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Championship: Aston Villa Ladies 1 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 1
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies were able to celebrate on Wednesday night after winning promotion to the FA Women’s Super League following a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa Ladies.
Karen Hills’ team knew they needed a point from their final two games in this season’s FA Women’s Championship to join Manchester United Women in the top flight.
After travelling to Villa, they were due to visit promotion rivals Durham Women, so this felt the crucial game for the Spurs Ladies.
Despite making the long journey to the Midlands, Tottenham made the perfect start with a goal inside 60 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Coral-Jade Haines played a quick free kick to England youth international Jessica Naz and she curled into the top corner in the first minute.
Although the hosts threatened afterwards, the score remained 1-0 at the break and Hills’ side were 45 minutes away from promotion.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Villa continued to look for a leveller after the restart and equalised in the 49th minute via Amy West to set up a nervy finale.
Both sides created opportunities to take the lead and the home side almost broke Spurs hearts late on.
A free kick into the area was clawed away by Chloe Morgan, but a Villa player fired an effort towards goal, but Ashleigh Neville was back on the line to head clear and the full time whistle followed immediately after.
It sparked wonderful scenes and Tottenham will now expect to join United in the Super League, assuming they meet the FA’s criteria for a spot in the top flight.