Spurs Ladies secure promotion to FA Women’s Super League
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Championship: Aston Villa Ladies 1 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 1
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies were able to celebrate on Wednesday night after winning promotion to the FA Women’s Super League following a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa Ladies.
Karen Hills’ team knew they needed a point from their final two games in this season’s FA Women’s Championship to join Manchester United Women in the top flight.
After travelling to Villa, they were due to visit promotion rivals Durham Women, so this felt the crucial game for the Spurs Ladies.
Despite making the long journey to the Midlands, Tottenham made the perfect start with a goal inside 60 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Coral-Jade Haines played a quick free kick to England youth international Jessica Naz and she curled into the top corner in the first minute.
Although the hosts threatened afterwards, the score remained 1-0 at the break and Hills’ side were 45 minutes away from promotion.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
Villa continued to look for a leveller after the restart and equalised in the 49th minute via Amy West to set up a nervy finale.
Both sides created opportunities to take the lead and the home side almost broke Spurs hearts late on.
A free kick into the area was clawed away by Chloe Morgan, but a Villa player fired an effort towards goal, but Ashleigh Neville was back on the line to head clear and the full time whistle followed immediately after.
It sparked wonderful scenes and Tottenham will now expect to join United in the Super League, assuming they meet the FA’s criteria for a spot in the top flight.