Spurs Ladies secure promotion to FA Women’s Super League
- Credit: Archant
FA Women’s Championship: Aston Villa Ladies 1 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 1
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies were able to celebrate on Wednesday night after winning promotion to the FA Women’s Super League following a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa Ladies.
Karen Hills’ team knew they needed a point from their final two games in this season’s FA Women’s Championship to join Manchester United Women in the top flight.
After travelling to Villa, they were due to visit promotion rivals Durham Women, so this felt the crucial game for the Spurs Ladies.
Despite making the long journey to the Midlands, Tottenham made the perfect start with a goal inside 60 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Coral-Jade Haines played a quick free kick to England youth international Jessica Naz and she curled into the top corner in the first minute.
Although the hosts threatened afterwards, the score remained 1-0 at the break and Hills’ side were 45 minutes away from promotion.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
Villa continued to look for a leveller after the restart and equalised in the 49th minute via Amy West to set up a nervy finale.
Both sides created opportunities to take the lead and the home side almost broke Spurs hearts late on.
A free kick into the area was clawed away by Chloe Morgan, but a Villa player fired an effort towards goal, but Ashleigh Neville was back on the line to head clear and the full time whistle followed immediately after.
It sparked wonderful scenes and Tottenham will now expect to join United in the Super League, assuming they meet the FA’s criteria for a spot in the top flight.