Mauricio Pochettino adamant there is no issue with Tottenham Hotspur left-back Danny Rose
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England international was not part of the match day squad at the Emirates, but has travelled with team to Borussia Dortmund
Mauricio Pochettino insists he has no issue with Danny Rose despite him leaving the defender out of Tottenham Hotspur’s squad for the north London derby with Arsenal.
Rose was not even named on the bench for the 2-0 defeat on Saturday, with the Spurs boss explaining the full-back still needs to regain fitness after nine months out through injury.
But, since making his comeback off the bench against Real Madrid last month, Rose had been in the squad for all five of Tottenham’s previous matches, twice starting and three as a substitute.
He also then started for England against Germany over the international break before coming on late against Brazil.
You may also want to watch:
Rose has said all is forgotten following his comments in August suggesting he could leave Spurs and Pochettino was adamant this latest absence was for fitness reasons only.
“I think you are trying to find some issue that is not an issue,” Pochettino said. “We analysed the player and we said to the player that we believed it was better to play another player, and Rose needs to wait.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
“Like different players that are out, like (Georges-Kevin) NKoudou who was out of the squad today. It’s not the same if you are training and trying to get fit. One thing is you can play and another thing is to be fully fit to play and to cope with 90 minutes.
“For us, rather than being on the bench, it was the decision to make him train at the training ground, like (Erik) Lamela was playing with the under-23s, to try to get fit.
“It’s not another reason. It’s only that he needs to build, and then wait for his opportunity. We believe that he can play.”