Mauricio Pochettino announces he has agreed a two-year contract extension at Tottenham
Mauricio Pochettino has announced he has verbally agreed a two-year contract extension at Tottenham, extending his stay at White Hart Lane until 2021.
Spurs’ head coach appeared on French radio earlier this week and said it is “part of his dreams” to manage Paris Saint-Germain, prompting speculation about his future.
However, the Argentine quickly scotched all of the rumours and confirmed his commitment to Tottenham at today’s (Friday’s) press conference with the surprise revelation that he has agreed a new deal.
“I think [my comments] were misunderstood,” he said. “I was captain of Paris Saint-Germain, I played there for three seasons and my former manager, who is now on the radio, called me and asked me some questions. He said ‘oh, one day would you like to manage Paris St Germain?’ [I said] ‘oh, why not?’
“This was all the wrong things that I said with him. But I can say now, to stop that, that we have reached a verbal agreement with the club to extend my contract here for two more years until 2021. We haven’t signed yet but we’ve reached a verbal agreement to stay here for the next five years.”
“When will I sign the contract? Maybe Tuesday, or tomorrow - it depends on my lawyer now. I think it’s a good moment to communicate that my future is here.
“We started to speak a few months ago and I think today is a good moment to communicate that we have reached the verbal agreement.
- 1 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 2 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 3 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 6 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 7 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 8 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 9 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 10 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
“I am very happy. I think Tottenham have unbelievable potential. After two years here we’ve created a great group of players, we have a very strong squad with potential to be a top [club].
“The staff, all the people who work at Tottenham… The supporters are unbelievable. I think there’s massive potential. Why not stay here?
“It was an easy decision. I think when you’re happy and when you feel the love of the people, and the potential of the club is massive, why change? Why not stay here?
“I think we’ve created a very good atmosphere in the changing room, at the training ground, all the staff… We have an excellent relationship and I think we can achieve big things in the future.
“I believe in the club, I believe in our players, our staff, our supporters. That’s why I said yes, to stay here and extend the contract, because I believe in this project, in this club and the energy and the history and I want to stay here, for that.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs