Mauricio Pochettino can’t guarantee Tottenham Hotspur stars will stay at club
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Argentine concedes there will be times when someone will need to move on to secure more playing time, or because they receive an offer too big to turn down
While Mauricio Pochettino has promised he will be at Tottenham next season, he admits it is difficult to expect similar loyalty from his players.
The Argentinian underlined his commitment at the weekend, saying: “Now it is important to be loyal and try to work together to reach the next level.”
He reiterated that message yesterday, stating: “I have no reason to leave the club. I will stay here, don’t worry. When pre-season starts on July 3, you will see.”
However, he does not expect his players to provide the same assurances, and he concedes there will be times when someone will need to move on to secure more playing time, or because the club and one of their stars receive an enormous offer that is too big to turn down.
You may also want to watch:
“That is more individual – [they’re different] positions, situations,” said Spurs’ manager. “You cannot blame a player because there are many interests around them, it’s not only the player.
“For us as a staff or a manager, it’s important to provide the club with a very clear project and not play [a game].
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
“I think today, I cannot be thinking about moving to another club. The club needs to be calm and have clear ideas about what we need to do in the future.
“It’s our responsibility. For us it’s easy to be loyal and responsible with our job, and try to finish our job.
“You cannot expect that from players, because there’s many different interests that are completely different from us, and their point of view is completely different.
“All the players have different challenges and dreams and sometimes it’s so difficult. Sometimes you need something to happen.
“You always need to think about having 25 players that want to be part of the project, who want to fight and play.
“After the whole season, you can have some players that are so happy but another player is not happy because they haven’t played too much.
“Yes, they are loyal, they are happy to be here, but they want to play. Maybe in another place they can find that possibility.
“It can be another example, too. Maybe there’s some crazy offer and it is so difficult to stop some player [from leaving].
“But that is about every single player and every situation needs to be assessed. It’s difficult to talk generally about the whole group.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs and visit my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BenPearceSpurs/