Mauricio Pochettino hopes to emulate Sir Alex Ferguson and create a legacy at Tottenham
Mauricio Pochettino hopes to emulate Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign at Manchester United and create his own legacy at Tottenham after announcing he has agreed a two-year contract extension.
Ferguson spent 26 years at Old Trafford between 1986 and 2013, winning 38 trophies. And, having verbally committed to a new deal which will keep him at White Hart Lane until 2021, Pochettino is aiming to build a long-lasting dynasty of his own in north London.
“Why not?” said Spurs’ head coach. “Sir Alex Ferguson is a very special person. He was given the security to build his legacy at Manchester United. I believe we are special too, and we can build it here together. This club is special.
“I felt the love from the beginning, from the very first day. I am very happy to be here to hopefully achieve big things. I think the potential is fantastic, with the new stadium.
“I think the club is coming to a very tough period because we are building a new stadium and we may focus sometimes on that, but at the same time it is very exciting.
You may also want to watch:
“Our focus is to try to perform in the next game, because always in football the most important time is the present. But it is important for all to know I believe in this club - the players, the staff, the supporters and the people here. This is important, that is why we have decided to stay here.
“We have made steps in the time we have been here and we believe in more time we can achieve big things.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 10 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs