Pochettino heaps praise on ‘special’ Eriksen and hopes he can be with Tottenham in the future
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Denmark playmaker has been linked with a move away from N17 with his contract set to expire in the summer of 2020
Mauricio Pochettino hailed Spurs’ Christian Eriksen after the 1-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League this evening and revealed he is hopeful the 27-year-old will remain at the club beyond this summer.
The Denmark international scored his ninth club goal of the campaign in the 88th minute to earn Tottenham Hotspur a hard-fought victory at their new stadium.
Chris Hughton’s team made life tough for the Lilywhites, but Eriksen’s stunner late on helped send the Spurs faithful home happy and kept them in the driving seat for a second consecutive third-placed finish in the table.
Pochettino said: “I think it is about quality. He has an amazing quality and can shoot from outside the area and has an unbelievable shot with his left and with his right foot.
“I think it is his quality. Of course it is about mentality too, but in the end if you don’t have the quality and you are going to shoot 10 times you are not going to score. But Christian can shoot and can score.”
Eriksen had a couple of sighters – including one in the first half which ballooned into the fans behind the goal in the North Stand.
- 1 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 2 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 3 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 4 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 5 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 6 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 7 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 10 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
He eventually found his range and showed Tottenham what they could be without next season unless his contract situation can be resolved.
The Spurs number 23 will only have a year left on his current deal after this summer is out and Real Madrid are understood to be interesting in acquiring his services.
But Pochettino remains hopeful, he added: “I have no news. I was clear a few months ago it is a situation that is a very special situation.
“Christian is a special person and we are all special and different and we need to understand that.
“The timing for him and for the club to be agreeing something is maybe different to another player and of course I hope and wish Christian can be with us in the future.
“But I think Christian and us are so open to talk and we will see what will happen. We are so close to the end of the season and then a lot of time to talk after.
“The most important thing now - not only for him, but all the players - is to be focused and try to achieve the things we want. We have a lot of big things ahead and now we need to be focused on recovery, training and then to compete.”