Tottenham boss pleased with level of performance in International Champions Cup win
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Fernando Llorente, Lucas Moura, Erik Lamela and Serge Aurier all caught the eye during Spurs’ 4-1 win over AS Roma
Mauricio Pochettino was impressed with the level of Spurs’ performance during their pre-season victory over AS Roma in San Diego in the early hours of Thursday.
Tottenham Hotspur are currently in the United States and played the first match of the tour at 3.05am UK time earlier today – 7.05pm California time.
Without various key names, this was an opportunity for some youngsters and fringe players to catch the eye of the Spurs boss.
And several did just that with Fernando Llorente scoring twice and Lucas Moura also grabbing a brace.
You may also want to watch:
Pochettino told Spurs’ official Twitter account: “I think the most important thing was to beat a good team and compete at a level as we did. It was fantastic for our players.”
Llorente and Moura were not the only people to impress with Lamela also continuing his excellent pre-season to date with another strong showing.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
Serge Aurier was involved in a couple of the goals to highlight his eagerness to kick on after a mixed first season with the Lilywhites.
With Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose, Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld and Mousa Dembele not set to join the squad at all in America, the current 24-man group have a big opportunity.
Already the likes of Llorente, Moura, Lamela and Aurier have taken one chance and one of them revealed his delight after the game.
Tottenham’s Brazilian winger only joined the club in January from Paris Saint- German, but is eager to demonstrate what he can do following an adaptation period in N17 over the past few months.
Speaking to the club’s Twitter account, Moura said: “I’m so happy to score two goals. Thank you to all the fans in San Diego.”
Pochettino will hope for more of the same this weekend when they take on Barcelona in Los Angeles.