Tottenham boss pleased with level of performance in International Champions Cup win
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Fernando Llorente, Lucas Moura, Erik Lamela and Serge Aurier all caught the eye during Spurs’ 4-1 win over AS Roma
Mauricio Pochettino was impressed with the level of Spurs’ performance during their pre-season victory over AS Roma in San Diego in the early hours of Thursday.
Tottenham Hotspur are currently in the United States and played the first match of the tour at 3.05am UK time earlier today – 7.05pm California time.
Without various key names, this was an opportunity for some youngsters and fringe players to catch the eye of the Spurs boss.
And several did just that with Fernando Llorente scoring twice and Lucas Moura also grabbing a brace.
You may also want to watch:
Pochettino told Spurs’ official Twitter account: “I think the most important thing was to beat a good team and compete at a level as we did. It was fantastic for our players.”
Llorente and Moura were not the only people to impress with Lamela also continuing his excellent pre-season to date with another strong showing.
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
Serge Aurier was involved in a couple of the goals to highlight his eagerness to kick on after a mixed first season with the Lilywhites.
With Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose, Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld and Mousa Dembele not set to join the squad at all in America, the current 24-man group have a big opportunity.
Already the likes of Llorente, Moura, Lamela and Aurier have taken one chance and one of them revealed his delight after the game.
Tottenham’s Brazilian winger only joined the club in January from Paris Saint- German, but is eager to demonstrate what he can do following an adaptation period in N17 over the past few months.
Speaking to the club’s Twitter account, Moura said: “I’m so happy to score two goals. Thank you to all the fans in San Diego.”
Pochettino will hope for more of the same this weekend when they take on Barcelona in Los Angeles.