Tottenham hope to move into new stadium ‘before Christmas’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Mauricio Pochettino has provided a positive update on when Spurs will return to N17
Mauricio Pochettino is confident Tottenham Hotspur will have moved into their new stadium before the end of the year.
Spurs were supposed to have been playing in the 62,062-seater arena from the middle of this month but failures to “critical safety systems” meant their move date was delayed and they have yet to announce a new one.
They have a Premier League fixture against Manchester City booked in at Wembley on October 29 while they will also play all three of their Champions League home group games at the national stadium.
The club also opted to play its League Cup third-round game against Watford 50 miles up the M1 in Milton Keynes today (Wednesday).
Work is still going on at the site of their Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and Pochettino is hoping for an early Christmas present after recently discussing the topic with chairman Daniel Levy.
“I am confident. This year. I am confident this year,” Pochettino said. “I had some private conversation with Daniel. I think they are confident. They are working hard to try to find the solution.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 3 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 4 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 9 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
- 10 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
“I hope before the year, before Christmas, we can play. That’s my wish. We have conversations every day. He (Levy) called me before training and on Monday we took a coffee here at the restaurant.
“Sometimes he tells me, sometimes he opens the conversation about the stadium, sometimes I open the conversation and say, ‘Daniel, how is the stadium?’ and sometimes it’s tough to explain.
“But yes we hope and we heard before, I am very confident before the end of the year. I hope that after that comment Daniel doesn’t kill me! ‘Why you put this expectation on me?’ He’s going to kill me.”